Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The day after yesterday





Yesterday was my birthday and it was great. Not great as in I did some extraordinary thing that almost never happens. Not great because I got some great new toy, gadget, outfit, or went to an event. It was great because yesterday God gave me the gift of an insight that let an ordinary day feel extraordinary.


It was a day like many others. I got up and gave out instructions to the troops on what the days priorities were and then set out to go shopping for food that would be consumed within moments of its arrival into the pantry…this continues to amaze me! After my eldest daughter and I wondered the grocery isles chatting and checking things off the list, the use of which did not prevent me from forgetting several things, we went to grab a quick snack before beginning round two of the shopping journey, or maybe it was round three. I sat with her and realized what a good day I was having and shared this with my daughter. Her response was "I feel like this not a very exciting birthday." She said this as if she and her siblings had somehow failed me. I laughed and said to her that there comes a time in life that a good birthday looks very different than it did when you are a child or youth. And I assured her that I was having a very good day.

So what made yesterday a good day. Well I think that it was God's great gift of insight. Those far too rate moments, for me anyway, when you look at something you have looked at many times and all of a sudden you remember what you already know… Life is a beautiful gift. You remember that the most perfect gifts are almost always found in the simplest of places, in knowing that you are where you are supposed to be, doing what you are supposed to do in that moment. Yesterday was good because I was able to go about my day, doing what needed doing, while not letting all those things that I normally let disrupt my peace, distract me from the moment, and cause me to waste the time that I am living in. Yesterday was a good day because I lived that day, the time with my children, with my husband, hearing from dear friends, doing what God called me to, and I was acutely aware of how rich my life is, how much love I am enfolded in.

I pray that all my days would be so enlightened….hmmm well here's praying anyway!

Have a Blessed day, and may God's peace wash over your every moment, especially those that seem too much to bare, and make your day a good day.

Pax Christi,
Dominique





1 comment:

  1. Dear Dominique,
    Happy Belated Birthday:) Enjoying your blog.
    Love of Christ to you and your family.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate any comments so long as they are polite and in good taste. Please remember to show charity in any comments you have. Thank you and God Bless!