Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Homemade play dough!

I wish I could take credit for this post but alas I borrowed it from Daily Decadent. I looks and sounds so much fun that I thought I would share. It is not a great day and I have some arrands and an appointment today so I will be leaving my eldest daughter in charge of the making and distributing of the play dough for the boys this afternoon. Hope you enjoy it. God Bless! D


Play Dough
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 4 Tbsps. Cream of Tartar
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 Tbsps. vegetable oil
  • food colour
Measure out the flour and salt and sift in or push the cream of tartar through a sieve to break up any lumps. Whisk together.

Pour the dry ingredients in a non-stick fry pan.
Mix the wet ingredients and pour into the dry ingredients in the fry pan.

Mix together very well.
Turn onto low heat.

Stir continuously - about three minutes is all it should take.

The mixture will begin to cling together into a ball.

When it does this - it's done.

Take the dough off the heat and roll into a log, deciding how many pieces and what colours you want to make this into.

I divided this recipe into four equal sized balls and those each were divided evenly between eight children. There was plenty.

I used this liquid food colouring from Club House, found in the baking aisle, and just squeezed a bunch into a flattened ball and then kneaded in the colour.

Colours could be pre-mixed for more variations. But I never did that- other stuff to do.

Store the dough in air-tight containers - I used zip-loc bags. The play dough keeps in the refrigerator but I can't remember just how long - but I know it is quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any comments so long as they are polite and in good taste. Please remember to show charity in any comments you have. Thank you and God Bless!