Sunday, October 10, 2010

Maternity a woman's charism or a woman's burden?

I am a 45 year old mother of seven souls, one whom, God willing, we will meet sometime at the beginning of May. This summer I had the opportunity to go back to work outside the home after over twelve years of being a full time stay at home mom. It was an interesting experience, not altogether negative and in some ways rather relaxing. This of course surprised me as I expected that our whole world would collapse, the children would be miserable, and Dad would be frustrated and irritable. In the end, however, we would survive but not without some casualties.

To clarify a little our eldest daughter is a very capable, rather dictatorial, caregiver who took charge and made sure that everyone was doing their part and that meals if not cooked by the time I got home were at least prepped and ready for cooking. On the days that she was not in charge of this my husband would cook. All in all everyone pulled together and all was well that ended well. Bare in mind that this was a one month experience, everyone knew that this was only to be one month long, and my husband was home holding down the fort while I was at the office. My days were not ridiculously long, and the children and I knew that if something were to happen I could be home in fifteen to twenty minutes to deal with it, with the full support of my temporary boss. A more than ideal situation to say the least.

The little ones missed me, but knew I would be home and I made sure to spend time just hanging with them and cuddling when they wanted. Sounds perfect does it not? Sounds like the world our feminist sisters promised for us decades ago. Well the problem with it, and it is not an insignificant one, came to me one day while I was sitting in my quiet little office, wondering what my family was up to while I was in the office…..

The problem is this, this is not reality! This is not the real world! Children need their mums at home for them, they need them nagging them to clean their rooms, eat their lunches, pick up their toys, and to stop picking on each other. They need mummy to kiss their owes, or to remind them to suck it up butter cup! Sure big sister can do it, Dad is quite capable of stepping in and doing it, but neither of them is mum.

For as long as I’ve been a mum, I’ve heard the notion of “me time” flung at me time and again. I might be on the phone with a friend complaining about how tired I am, how frustrated with the lack of cooperation, constant nagging, constant bickering, and the old “you need some me time” would come up. And sure enough I would buy into to it and find a way to take off and have some me time. The problem I discovered quite quickly, and rediscovered this summer, is in fact there is never really enough me time. Now don’t get me wrong I do think that it is perfectly acceptable for mum to take some time in the day, close a door, send the little ones outside, or downstairs, take a walk or run, and just be. Have a quiet moment with God, in prayer, to help remind us of our hugely blessed and important our vocation. But to me that is quite different than taking time for ME! You see we are by nature very selfish creatures, and because of this selfishness the more we indulge ourselves, put ourselves first, the less interested we become in putting others first. And being a mother is by definition putting others first.

So as I sat in this quiet office I began to see the appeal that working outside the home has for so many women today. In a culture that measures success by how much others acknowledge it, in a culture that encourages feeding self first, cause if you are not happy how can you make others happy, it is completely consistent that women would feel more satisfied working outside the home than inside the home. Why not run away to a world where there are no children with poopy diapers, runny noses, whining, bickering, demanding of you all day long? Why would any woman, especially an educated woman, want to simply stay home with that, when the world gives her permission to run away from it, and hand over her charges to some stranger (for the most part) to do those mundane, thankless things while she goes off and lives that other life. The life where people say thank you, job well done, you are amazing, what would we do without you…..etc. In this life while you are informed when you make mistakes, you are rewarded with great praise and maybe even a raise when you get it right. The fantasy world that lets you think that you are great, feeds your ego, and you get paid for it too. Is it wrong to want to be appreciated? Is it wrong to yearn for affirmation from others in what you do, and by extension who you are? Are there consequences to fulfilling the above that dwarf the perceived rewards?

How about abdicating your vocation to care for, nurture, form, and support the young souls in your care? Should we consider the harm that this may cause our children, our families, our communities? Not in a world where self sacrifice has been replaced with self fulfilment. Not in a world where self esteem is more important than giving of self. And what kind of adults do our children become when the main examples in their lives have been examples of me first? How on earth are we supposed to teach our children, who are naturally all about ME, to put brother/sister, neighbour, colleague, country, wife, and eventually their own children, first? What kind of community is built on me, myself and I? Can you just imagine if the sole motivator in the world was self how many Mother Theresa’s, Ghandi’s, Oscar Schindler’s, Karol Wojtyla’s, Steven Biko’s, and the list goes on, there would have been? Imagine what a duller, uglier world it would be.

The trouble with leaving the home everyday to go elsewhere is that over time it creates a schism between mom and child. Mom loses sight of what her role is and even grows more and more resentful to time and demands being placed on her. So what does the response become? In some cases to just give up, and give in. Children learn to manipulate to get what they want, and to get out of what they need to be doing. They wear mum down. Now mum’s can get worn down whether they work outside the home or not, but they become more susceptible to it when they are away from home more.

Alice von Hildebrand in her book “The privilege of being a woman” reminds us that womanhood is a gift. She explains that womanhood and motherhood are inseparable, that “women, without exception, are called upon to be mothers.” (Pg. 95-96) In other words all women are called to “turn to the helpless, to incline lovingly and helpfully to every small and weak thing upon the earth.” Those of us who have been Blessed with the gift of being able to mother souls who have come through us, who have been Blessed with the gift of being active participants in God’s creative process, who have been Blessed with the gift of being the bearers of two souls for a time, and who reject this gift for the sake of personal glorification and self-indulgent gratification, at the expense of our duties as nurturers, caregivers, and helpers, have harmed our families, our communities, and our very own souls.

That being said I very keenly understand that there are those women who have no choice but to go out into the work force, who have been left with the task of being both mother and father to their children. I do not wish to confuse such cases with those women who leave their children in the care of others, who reject the great gift and responsibility to be the primary formatters of souls in this world in order to better fulfil themselves. To seek to obtain more status, more wealth, and more things at the expense of the greatest responsibility a woman will ever have, that of real motherhood, is a travesty, an abomination, a sad fact of so many career women today.
"The Church sees in the face of women the reflection of a beauty which mirrors the loftiest sentiments of which the human heart is capable: the self-offering totality of love; the strength that is capable of bearing the greatest sorrows; the limitless fidelity and tireless devotion to work; the ability to combine penetrating intuition with words of support and encouragement."-JPII

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dominique! As I have mentioned on fb, I am always very captivated by your posts. So I noticed you also have a blog, also with interesting posts!
    I would like to comment on this one in particular, which seems to have some rather harsh comments about women who work outside of the home (or rather, those women who don't actually "have" to, but chose to).

    So here is a comment from one women at least who indulges in "personal glorification and self-indulgent gratification", who also "seek to obtain more status, more wealth, and more things at the expense of the greatest responsibility a woman will ever have", and that what I have chosen to do is a "travesty, an abomination".

    Ouch.

    I love my children. I love my family. Do I love them less than you do yours? I love my home, I love doing things at home - but you think that I think my work at home is mundane? That I have to get praise outside of my home?

    It sounds like you have made very good choices for yourself, that you take great pride and joy in the work you do with your family. You should feel great pride and joy for this!! Of course! But does it mean that women who do not chose the same as you are somehow evil, awful people?

    Sometimes my kids take the work I do at home for granted (cooking, cleaning, washing, feeding the cats and rabbit when they forget, etc) - but most of the time not. I do not feel that what I do at home is mundane. I am very glad to keep our home looking good, a place where everyone feels very good, safe, happy. I get in fact much more praise for what I do at home than I do at work!! I get praise every day at home (if that is what I am after). Not at work. But because I get more praise and love at home does not mean that I will be there all the time, because in fact, I am not actually after lots of praise all the time. I love also what I do at work, I am very glad I can do this work. I enjoy the balance between my work and my home.

    And on that note, it is off to work I go, taking my son with me (he has the week off) so that he can catch up on his homework. It is an imperfect system at best - but I can report that we are doing well despite it all ;-)

    best, gunhild

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, one more thought - one advantage with my job is that I have been able to take my kids with me quite often when I travel. All three have had experiences that they otherwise would not have had if I did not have this job (all three have been to many conferences, Brontë being the really bold one even asking questions at one conference about Aristotle!! It was very cool!). This does not mean that what I do is *better* than if I did not have this job, it is just that my choices come with different advantages and disadvantages for the kids than if I chose to stay at home.

    So I still wonder about the purpose of lashing out against working moms. I think kids get the absolute best if moms themselves supported each other, instead of condemning each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I knew I would hear from you at some point, particularly on this one! ;) I am sorry if you think this is a lashing out at anyone, it is not. This essay was not directed at any one person, it was rather directed at an ideology or way of thinking that to me is, in the long run, inimical to family and ultimately the very fabric of society. I was simply pointing out that in our culture self sacrifice is no longer considered a good thing, a virtue. Rather it is seen as destructive to self which in turn is seen as harmful. To put self after others is viewed as damaging to ego and therefor to be rejected. Go into any secular book store and you will find thousands of books on self-help, teaching how to fulfill yourself!

    Contrary to this I believe that to nurture self sacrifice is to nurture a way of being that brings us closer to our humanity, to each other, and ultimately can create a more compassionate, giving, and peaceful society. Christ himself lived his life for others, and gave his life for each of us. Mary his mother dedicated her whole life to the will of Other, and look at the beauty and love that was born from those actions.

    Woman have been given a unique charism, the charsim of maternity, men cannot nurture babies in their bodies for nine months, they cannot give birth to another human soul, they cannot breast feed and continue this nurturing for up to several years, this gift has been given to women. And as all gifts along with it I believe comes a unique level of responsibility that though men must share in, to some extent in their own way, is quite rightly the mother's primary responsibility. I know you don't share this view, but that is what I believe. You may chose to think that I am judging others harshly, condemning them, but I cannot climb into the hearts of others to know their motivations, so I do not judge others, I am simply questioning, and yes judging a way of thinking that I believe can be very damaging.

    Thanks again for you input,
    In Christ,
    Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he he - well, I am glad that I am expected to write! And I do enjoy the discussion.
    And I think it is important, and I don't actually disagree with a lot of what you write. I guess it is how I conclude that is where we differ.
    For example, the uniqueness of being a mother, and the bond between a mother and child is something I very much agree upon. I think that bond should be cherished and nourished - totally agree! I guess I just do not think that to do so, a woman is beholden to stay at home 24/7.

    I do not see women as merely androgenous forms, similar to men in all ways despite annoying biology. I think the differences are important and should be celebrated. But it should be done in a way that is respectful to all women - to those who chose to stay at home, to those who chose or must enter the work force.

    The thing on self-sacrifice. It is interesting. You raise a very good point about Jesus and Mary - giving themselves to others, thinking of others. I guess I did not think of it as a sacrifice though (ok- the cross thing - now THAT was a sacrifice!!!). Did not Jesus and Mary gain something from the goodness they gave to others? Did they only do this as a sacrifice, or did they derive joy from being able to give others of themselves? I think the idea that we should give others of ourselves, to do things for others, should be more strongly emphasized in our (actually more in North America than here) society - no doubt!!
    The self-help phenomenon - I think this is a very cultural phenomenon. North American. An Oprahization of Canada and the US. I almost never see self-help books here (I think if you dig, you might find some) - but it is not a trend. It is funny you mention them because I forgot about those things.
    I think actually many of the issues you raise are, at least in my experience so far, quite cultural. Even the brand of feminism I know you have mentioned - it is very particularly American (there are just SOOO many feminist approaches, including African feminists who argue very much in giving equal credit to women who are primary family providers, stay-at-home if you will (well, and working because it is necessary in many cases) - that critique particularly north american but more generally western brands of feminism for giving only one solution to women's emancipation, and neglecting the role of mother. This is also a generalization of course - there are different views both within and outside of North America - but these are my impressions.

    I am glad I have the job I have - but it is (in my view) not just any ol' job - it is fun, it is crazy (i get paid to do this???). I love it. At the same time, there are things in my job I would love to do but will not, because I have children. Like do field work for 6-8 months in Afghanistan. I would love to do that! But no way. But it is not a sacrifice for me. Not at all. The alternative would be much worse - that I have no children at all and can do as much field work as I like. No thanks. I would never give them up for that (I know some women who are our age, no family or anything - have done great field work - but now . . . ??). I will get to the field work in my 60s :-).

    But i live in a place where you can work (women and men) and be home in time when school ends to have supper and get the kids to their activities - it is the norm. Where parents bring their kids to work when school is free that day, where parental leave (maternity and paternity) is a year (parents can share the time or divide it how they like, but the dads get 1 month mandatory I believe - maybe more now). But interestingly, underneath this, is a very "traditional" society - and it is allowed to be so, because for the most part, both parts are respected.

    It is not a bad life ;-). And now, I am going to finish setting the table for the two men in the family, my husband and my 15 year old son (who is enormous by the way!!!)

    hugs, g

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate any comments so long as they are polite and in good taste. Please remember to show charity in any comments you have. Thank you and God Bless!